With the pandemic, many piano teachers and parents were forced to look for alternatives. As a stop gap we went to the Zoom platform.
Since then, parents have found many benefits and have chosen to continue as their first choice rather than resume in person lessons.
- No travel time
- No missing lessons because of sickness or traffic issues
- Children have the lesson on the instrument they are used to practising on
- With the 2 camera set up, children get to see closeup what I am playing from above, making it easier to process and duplicate
- Lessons include a variety of ways of learning
- Parents can tend to other children in their home environment while the lesson is on
- Location is no longer an issue – easier to find a time that suits you.
Lessons are able to include a variety of methods which enhance learning, allowing the creation of lessons that suit individual learning styles. These methods include:
- Children playing
- Educator playing (and children observing through birds eye camera above keyboard)
- Online interactive games and worksheets
- Videos to further explain musical concepts
- Singing while playing
The more senses we can engage in positive experiences, the deeper the learning and memory. Zoom makes it possible to include elements that traditional teaching can’t.
How Much Will It Cost?
The price of lessons is currently AUD$45 per 30 minutes plus books. The cost of books depends on where you live in the world. You will be purchasing them from Amazon and prices vary according to country.
|Piano Books||A$38 per book (usually lasts minimum 9 weeks)|
Billed a term in advance
(9 – 10 weeks)
|A$45 per 30 mins|
Do I Need To Participate?
You can choose how your child does their piano lesson. You can sit in, hover in the background, or leave them to it while you organise dinner!
You don’t even have to be a child. We have many adults choosing to learn piano from the comfort of their own home, and fulfilling a lifelong dream of learning to play.
The age of your child will determine the level of your involvement. if they are doing our Wunderkey Preschool program, you will need to be sitting with them every step of the way. This not only makes for a successful lesson, but also successful practice, as at that age, you also need to guide and direct their small practice sessions.
For children 5 – 7 years, you may need to hover around to assist if necessary but from 8 years onwards, they are more than capable of attending and completing lessons on their own.
What Type of Music Will I Learn?
We use fantastic books that cater for young children, teens and adults. Our teenage boys love our comic style books, our adults love the range of music including celtic inspired songs, and young children love the colourful pages of our lesson books.
Our great sounding songs will have your child wanting to practice!
If you have any questions about our Zoom piano lessons, please contact us so we can answer them for you.
What Happens If I Miss A Lesson?
All missed lessons by you are payable. There are no makeup lessons for piano students because my schedule is packed.
If I have to cancel a lesson for any reason, the amount of that lesson will be credited to the following term.
Do I Need An Instrument?
Yes. As with anything, it is impossible to learn the concepts we are teaching without practice. So for that, you will need an instrument to practice on.
You don’t need a piano, a portable keyboard will do. These can be purchased for as little as $200 including a stand and seat.
Specifications would be:
- The length of the keyboard should be 61 keys
- Full size keys
- Touch sensitive is a bonus but not a necessity at this level
- If it comes with a pedal great, but once again, not a necessity. They will need it for higher levels though
- An adjustable seat is prefered. You may also need to use a pillow on top if we need to put them in a more optimal position for playing
Once you get into higher levels you will probably look at upgrading, but a keyboard like this will get you through at least the first year. By then, you will know if your child likes it, wants to continue and if you are prepared to upgrade.
Do You Prepare Students For Exams?
No, not anymore. Diana has done that for 30 years and at this stage of her career is really enjoying teaching music for the enjoyment and fun of learning. If you are wanting to do exams, Kids Discover is not the right fit for you.